AKSNA is pleased to announce the first annual Arctic School Food Innovations Competition. The competition recognizes an individual in School Food Service that has contributed to an innovation that has expanded access to school meals, improved the quality or nutritional value of school meals, improved student and community relationships of the school meal program, improved logistical or financial support of school meals, and/or overcome another challenge to making, distributing, and serving school meals.
The winner will be selected and announced at the Award Banquet during the 55th Annual AKSNA Conference in Anchorage, Alaska, happening 24 – 26 January 2023.
The winner will be awarded travel and registration to the SNA Annual National Conference in Denver, Colorado, 9 – 11 July 2023.
Anyone with direct knowledge of the innovation may nominate an AKSNA member; self-nominations are allowed. The person submitting the nomination need not be an AKSNA member. Examples of qualified nominators include the nominee or a supervisor, colleague, business manager, teacher, or principal.
To nominate, complete the nomination form (available on our web site beginning August 2022) and attach:
- At least six (6) photos documenting the innovation and/or result of the innovation
- A short report detailing the innovation (recommended word length 500-1000 words)
the report should include an explanation of:
- What was the innovation?
- What challenge/improvement was address?
- What was the nominee’s contribution?
- What date did this start? How long did it take?
- What was the impact to students?
- If there was a change in participation, please include relevant participation data.
- What was the impact on the school community?
- Why was the innovation important?
Eligibility and Judging
The nominee must be an AKSNA member in good standing or grace period at the time of award, 25 January 2023, to be considered. While attendance at the AKSNA Annual Conference is encouraged, the nominee need not be present to win.
If there are more than three qualified nominees, the AKSNA Board will convene a committee to review the nominations and select the top three choices. The nominees, or the top three selected by the committee, will be presented at the AKSNA Annual Conference where all eligible AKSNA members will be invited to vote for their top choice.
The nominee with the most votes will be announced at the Award Banquet. If there is a tie, the nominee will be selected by coin toss or another fair game of chance such as dice roll or random number generator.
The winner will attend the 2023 SNA Annual Conference in Denver, Colorado 9 – 11 July 2023.
- Conference registration
- Airfare from the winner’s home city in Alaska to Denver, Colorado (round-trip, coach)
- Lodging at one of SNA’s partner hotels
- A $300 cash allowance for meals and ground transportation
Federal Income Tax
The winner will receive an additional cash allowance equal to 28.2% of the total cash value of the prize; the amount is intended, but not guaranteed, to offset the winner’s Federal Income Tax liability.
To comply with U.S. Internal Revenue Code, the winner must submit an IRS Form W-9 before any prize may be distributed/disbursed; the value of the award will be reported to the Internal Revenue Service on the 2023 Form 1099-MISC.