Traditional – Indigenous Foods in Alaska K-12 Schools

Welcome to Alaska School Nutrition Association Forums General Forum Traditional – Indigenous Foods in Alaska K-12 Schools

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Hi everyone,

I was contacted by Dayle Hayes of “School Meals That Rock” and she is interested in Traditional – Indigenous Foods in Alaska K-12 Schools. I have added her email below and was wondering if there is any success stories we could share with her. Thanks, Trevor

Dear Alaska Friends,

I am reaching out hoping that you can help me with some resources for traditional foods in Alaska K-12 schools:
    Background: I attended the 2020 Montana Flavors of Home Native Food Sovereignty Summit in June as well as the Sioux Chef events at MSU here in Bozeman. Since then I have followed indigenous Montana chefs and others on a variety of social media. I believe that education about indigenous/traditional foods should be part of food literacy, culinary and nutrition education in K-12 schools across the country.

In an effort to start indigenous food discussions in my circles, I brought the idea to a recent food trend discussion at the annual meeting of Culinary Institute of America Healthy Kids Collaborative (CIA HKC). I was impressed (and somewhat surprised) to have indigenous/traditional foods chosen as the top food trend by the group. Planetary sustainability was chosen as the number two trend.

What does this mean? The CIA HKC, including some of the top US school chefs and leaders, will share information about indigenous food through our channels and resources. The Collaborative is eager to identify and amplify authentic indigenous/traditional food activities/programs currently taking place in K-12 school settings.
    • Can you help me identify Alaska schools and/or districts that have implemented indigenous/traditional food education and/or menus?
    • These can be well-established or new programs anywhere in the US or Canada.
    • I would need a name and email of a contact person so that I could do a brief interview and then share information about these programs with other Collaborative members.
    Thank you all so much for any help that you can give me.

Sincerely,

Dayle Hayes

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar